David Southgate Resume
Bilingual (English/Spanish), certified Project Manager with extensive experience managing cross-cultural and international teams, including bridging language barriers. Subject Matter Expert in EPA Brownfields, online publishing, media relations, and sales management. Managerial and supervisory experience. Community Business Leader. Willing to relocate.
Local Municipal Government
2008 - Present
DESARROLLO INTEGRAL DEL SUR, INC. (DISUR)
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Manage DISUR's EPA Brownfields Area-wide Planning Pilot project for 3,500-acre petrochemical area of 11 Brownfield sites in Guayanilla and Peņuelas, Puerto Rico. Responsible for overall project success, consultant management, scope management, budgeting, project schedule, RFP and consultant recruiting process, quarterly federal reports, executive briefings, funds transfer, compliance management enforcement, and Project liaison between EPA, DISUR, C-Level Stakeholders and local and state government.
- Identified granting opportunity and wrote winning proposal for $175,000 planning project, one of 23 selected nationally.
- Applied PMP processes and created overall project plan and project processes, including RFP development, communications and community outreach planning, and QAPP documentation.
- Recruited leveraged collaboration from subject matter experts, the American Architectural Foundation's Sustainable Communities Design Academy, and a partnership with Worchester Polytechnic Institute and Environmental Finance Center, increasing total project value to $450,000.
IT Project Manager and Operations
2004 - 2008
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Successfully managed top-ranking Web-based promotional vehicle for South Puerto Rico, LetsGoToPonce.com. Site garnered publicity for the region in About.com, Associated Press, New York Times, and Adrenalina TV (Fuel TV on Fox Sports Espaņol and Latin America). Segmented email subscribers climbed year over year by 100 percent. Site and Company recognized as "Tourism Ambassador" by Puerto Rico Tourism Company (Island Tourism Minister).
- Managed LetsGoToPonce.com through the entire project lifecycle.
- Wrote business plans and needs analysis; obtained seed money, salary incentives and financing with Government Development Bank of Puerto Rico.
- Wrote technical requirements documents, hired, trained and directed staff of six, including Web developers, designers, salespeople and writers.
IT Project Manager and General Manager
Jan. 2004 - Aug. 2004
CASIANO COMMUNICATIONS, WEB RESPONSE
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Tripled revenue at IT division of the largest Hispanic-owned periodical and newspaper publisher in the United States.
- Picked up IT Project Management midstream for 30+ Web site projects.
- Established Project Management development cycles and procedures.
- Eliminated non-performing areas of PuertoRicoWow.com, suggesting staff reassignments for additional cost savings.
2001 - 2004
INTERNET.COM, CIOUPDATE, CNET, PROJECTS@WORK MAGAZINE
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Contributed to the development of Project Management professionals with more than 100 articles on Project Management and IT Management issues in International Publications. Published in English, Spanish and French. See sample portfolio.
- "Project managers as change leaders," Projects@Work Magazine, November 2004
- "Best-practice training programs have helped many companies improve their project management efforts," Projects@Work Magazine, June 2003
- "The best way to scrutinize a project budget," CNET's TechRepublic.com, February 2003
- "Four approaches to staff reallocation in project management," TechRepublic.com, February 2003
New York, NY
Designed a complex Web taxonomy and managed the online redesign of Scholastic.com, replacing nine separate registration processes with a single universal registration used by tens of thousands of Scholastic's registered teachers. Project met Management's objective to improved cross-use of content produced by multiple and competing business units.
- Presented findings on ways to improve financial performance of Internet ventures to C-Level executives, resulting in adoption of proposals and sales.
- Managed team of two designers and three developers.
- Supported sale of Web development services with sound business metrics, marketing data, and Web usage statistics.
1999 - 2001
Transformed company's digital publishing unit by championing cost-benefit of database-driven content management system and launched online publishing. Resulted in $2 million annual savings for company and generated $500,000 of advertising revenue from online content, e-mail newsletter, and community strategies.
- Authored functional requirements of content management systems.
- Established editorial plans, standards, systems, procedures, and metrics.
- Hired and managed a six-person staff of editors, writers, and an online community manager, as well as more than 20 freelancers.
1997 - 1999
Managed 10 custom Web projects from sale to completion. Clients included Dayton's, Hudson's and Marshall Field's; flowersandgifts.com; Minnesota Wild Hockey NHL; University of Minnesota; KS95-FM and; KSTP-AM.
- Managed more than 20 custom database-driven Web projects from sale to implementation.
- Managed technical project teams of eight people, delivering projects on time.
- Clients included Dayton's, Hudson's and Marshall Field's; flowersandgifts.com; Minnesota Wild Hockey NHL; University of Minnesota; radio broadcasters KS95-FM and; KSTP-AM.
Marketing and Public Relations Manager
1995 - 1997
INTERMEDIA ARTS MINNESOTA
Responsible for institutional and program marketing and public relations.
- Wrote and edited all advertising content and managed publication development.
- Expanded audience base more than 1,000 percent.
- Hired and led creative teams that created targeted marketing materials within budget and deadline.
- Led organization through re-branding project that unified the organization's marketing collateral and included the organization's first Web site.
- Created direct mail fundraising and membership campaigns that raised more than $30,000.
PREVIOUS CONTRACTUAL EXPERIENCE
- Independent Television Service (ITVS), 1993 - 1995: Interim National Publicist
- Walker Art Center, 1991 - 1995: Public Relations for 150 events annually
SOFTWARE AND LANGUAGES
Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe ImageReady, BBEdit, fetch FTP, HTML, Mambo Server, Drupal, ProjectManager.com
University of Minnesota
School of Journalism and Mass Communication
Emphases in PR, news editorial, and advertising
CERTIFICATIONS AND TRAINING
Project Management Training refresher
Practical Solutions, LLC
Ponce, Puerto Rico Campus
Spanish Language Studies
Comptia IT Project+
Project Management Core Capabilities
Basic and Advanced
Ponce Chapter Workforce Investment Board, Director
Project Management Institute, Member
South Puerto Rico Chamber of Commerce, Director
Internet Committee, DISUR (Community Regional Socio Economic Development Organization), Member